To create a backup of an attached EBS Volume or Stripe of EBS Volumes.
Note: Backups will be saved as EBS Snapshots.
- Import the appropriate 'Toolbox' ServerTemplate
Volume backup scripts will perform slightly different actions based upon whether or not the ServerTemplate supports EBS Stripes.
- "EBS Toolbox" - Take a backup of the EBS Filesystem by creating an EBS Snapshot of the EBS Volume.
- "EBS Stripe Toolbox" - Take a backup of the EBS Filesystem by creating EBS Snapshots of all EBS Volumes in the Stripe.
- If you haven't already done so, import the 'Toolbox' ServerTemplate
- Go to your Deployment (Manage -> Deployments).
- Click the nickname of the Server to which EBS Volumes are attached.
- Script Dependencies: The following scripts must be run before you can successfully run the backup scripts.
- For "EBS Toolbox" - (Non-Stripe)
- EBS Rightscale tools install
- EBS volume continuous backups
- For "EBS Stripe Toolbox" - (Stripe)
- EBS Stripe Rightscale tools install
- EBS Continuous backups
- Under the Server's Scripts tab, use the 'Any Script' option to run the appropriate backup script. (Exact names may vary.)
- "EBS Toolbox" - "EBS volume backup" script.
- "EBS Stripe Toolbox" - "EBS stripe volume backup" script. The script will take Snapshots of each volume in the stripe
- Wait for all of the Snapshot(s) to be 100% complete before attempting to a launch a new Server that will use the snapshots. To check the status of your EBS Snapshots, go to Clouds -> AWS Region -> EBS Snapshots.
What feedback to expect
The Events pane will highlight the progress of the operation. Click on the name of an action in the pane to view a detailed output of the action that can be used to troubleshoot the cause of a failure, if necessary.