One of RightScale's most important goals is to help our users deploy and scale effectively by empowering them with the necessary tools to be successful in the cloud. And one of the best ways to scale, especially in the world of software, is to establish a vibrant community of users who build innovative assets and share them with the community.
Check out some of the existing open source projects from your peers and learn how you can use them to accelerate your own development projects. Meet us in the #rightscale IRC channel or even showcase your own project as a community resource!
RightScale Community Resources
Below is a list of contributions to the RightScale Community. Be sure to review a project's Readme and license information before using it for your own purposes.
Please let us know if you have an interesting project or asset (e.g. Chef, API, Puppet, PowerShell script, etc.) that you would like to Share with the RightScale Community.
A gem that can be used as an API client for SS and includes a command-line interface with some utilities such as CAT "includes" and a built-in testing framework for CAT files
A set of Ruby scripts to help create CAT files - including a script that can export an existing Deployment in RightScale to a CAT file and preliminary work on a conversion utility to convert CloudFormation templates to CAT
An interactive site that teaches CAT file syntax and has many examples of basic and advanced use cases of CAT and RCL
Primarily a command-line tool for injesting a Berksfile and uploading the resulting set of cookbooks to a tar.gz file in any storage provider supported by fog. [gem]
Chef Taste is a simple command line utility to check a cookbook's dependency status.
Collection of Chef assets published by RightScale's Professional Services department.
This is a Knife plugin for RightScale. This plugin gives knife the ability to provision servers on clouds managed by the RightScale platform. It is expected that you already have a Chef Server running or are using a hosted Chef solution from OpsCode. [blog post]
Official RightScale cookbooks project. These cookbooks have been tested on multiple clouds and multiple operating systems using ServerTemplates on the RightScale Cloud Management Platform.
A cookbook designed to work with vagrant-rightscaleshim to allow local vagrant development of RightScale cookbooks. A Vagrant plugin which (along with rightscaleshim) allows the use of RightScale-specific Chef resources (right_link_tag, remote_recipe, server_collection) in a Vagrant VM. [vagrant-plugin] [image-centos-6.3] [image-centos-6.4] [image-ubuntu-12.04] [veewee-rightimage-vagrant]
A YARD plugin for Chef that adds support for documenting Chef recipes, lightweight resources and providers (LWRP), libraries and definitions. Click here to see example output and additional on RightScale Cookbooks.
A command-line tool for remote command execution using the RightScale platform, which can be useful for orchestrating intelligent automation during site upgrades/releases.
ServerTemplates and RightScripts
Please visit the MultiCloud Marketplace to find all published assets.
Note: API 1.0 is now End-Of-Life. Please use API 1.5 for any future development work.
- rs_api_examples - A collection of useful API examples for sh/curl enthusiasts.
- rs-api-tools - A collection of Ruby-based CLI tools [gem]
- right_aws - RightScale AWS gems that provide a fast and secure interface to key AWS resources and services (such as EC2, EBS, S3, SQS, SDB and CloudFront). [gem]
- Terminator - Automatically terminate AWS resources (Servers, Arrays, Volumes, Snapshots) based on specified criteria. Can save big-time $$$!
- rs_user_policy - A ruby gem with a command-line tool for managing the permissions of many users in an Enterprise RightScale account. [gem] [blog post]
- RightScale_API_Client - The right_api_client gem simplifies the use of RightScale's MultiCloud API
- RightScaleNetAPI - A .NET wrapper for the RightScale 1.5 API.
- RightScale PowerShell - Several useful examples for the Windows/PowerShell enthusiasts. Such as the following folders in Git:
- PowerShell API - Straight forward, practical examples
- Generic - Idempotent strategies
- Samples - Automate the build/destruction of a simple 2-server all-in-one deployment and a more complex 4 tier deployment
- Image Cleaner - Learn best practices for cleaning up a virtual machine (VM) before you bundle it into an image. [blog post]
- csreport - CloudStack Reporting Tool. Queries a CloudStack endpoint and transforms the XML into a useful report of the cloud's capabilities.
Share with the RightScale Community
Do you have an interesting asset that you'd like to share with the RightScale community? If so, please tell us about it so we can list it on the RightScale Community page. Please do not submit actual code examples. Share your code in a public repository (e.g. GitHub) and send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the following information.
- Name: Name of the project.
- Description: A brief description of the asset that explains what it does and why it's useful.
- Link: Web link to the project.
Assets published by the RightScale Community are independent of the official RightScale organization and release cycle. Community assets do not follow the same stringent product and quality assurance workflows and/or testing applied to official RightScale assets.
Community assets are not officially supported, guaranteed, or recommended by RightScale. Note that your mileage may vary.
Community support may be available for these assets via the RightScale Forums, RightScale IRC Channel, the development team or the individual owner of the asset.
Please contact RightScale Technical Services if you have any questions regarding the support of Community developed assets. email@example.com