Create a new Amazon Web Services Simple Queue Service (SQS) queue using the RightScale Dashboard.
Note: Although this feature is still functional, there have been new enhancements to the SQS UI in a different location on the Dashboard. The new UI is currently in beta. For more information, see SQS Queue Beta or contact email@example.com.
Table of Contents
The following are prerequisites for completing this tutorial:
- AWS and RightScale account credentials, etc.
- SQS must be "enabled". From the Dashboard (Clouds -> AWS Global -> Queues), if not yet enabled select the "Enable" action button. This typically takes 5-10 seconds to enable your account for SQS.
The RightScale Dashboard makes creating and managing AWS SQS queues very simple. Follow this tutorial to configure a Queue from scratch.
- Navigate to Clouds -> AWS Global -> Queues
- Select the New action button
- Fill out the following fields:
Queue Name - The name should alphanumeric and unique, without spaces. If you enter an illegal Queue name, you will get an error message similar to:
API Generation - The default is 2. It is not recommended to use API Gen 1, as Amazon has plans to end of life support for the prior generation.
Visibility - Default is 30. This is a sensible default for most applications and you probably don't need to change it.
- Select the Create action button when ready.
Post Tutorial Steps
General Queue Info
- If your queue created successfully, you will be placed in the Info tab of your new Queue. Generic information about your queue is displayed. It's that easy.
Deleting your Queue
- There are two ways to Delete your queue:
- Select the Delete action icon in line with the queue from Clouds -> AWS Global -> Queues
- Select the Delete action button from the specific queues Info tab